BackCountry Navigator TOPO GPS Use your phone or tablet as an offroad topo mapping handheld GPS with the best selling outdoor navigation app for Android! Explore beyond cell coverage for hiking and other recreation.
New: Android Wear support to see navigation at a glance onwrist, Use GPS way points from GPX or KML files, or enter your own coordinates using longitude/latitude, UTM, MGRS, or grid reference.Using GOTO makes a way point a locus for navigation.
Some additional content available as an in app purchase:
– Boundary maps for 12 western states from the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Overlay for topo maps valued by hunters.
-GMU boundaries in some states
-Lake Contours in several states.
-Content from US Trail Maps including:
-ATV, Whitewater, and Equestrian Trail Maps
See the menu under More-> “Purchasing Add Ons”. They can be shown on top of topo maps. You may try the DEMO version to make sure you like the maps in your country.
About topo (topographic) maps: Topo maps show terrain through color and contours, and are useful for navigation off road. Topo maps and GPS can be used for hiking, hunting, kayaking, snow shoeing, & backpacker trails., You can create your own maps with Mobile Atlas Creator, or specify a custom tile server.
Built in sources include:
– Open Street Maps from MapQuest
– Open Cycle Maps showing terrain worldwide
– US Topo Maps from Caltopo and the USGS
– USTopo: Aerial Photography with markup.
– Canada Topo Maps from Toporama
– Marine maps: NOAA RNC Nautical Charts (coastal)
– USGS Color Aerial photography
– Topographic Maps of Spain and Italy
– Topo maps of New Zealand
– Japan GSI maps. and Many of the above sources are generally free to use.
Use offline topo maps and GPS on hiking trails without cellservice. The GPS in your Android phone can get its position from GPS satellites, and you don’t have to rely on your data plan to get maps. Have more fun and safe GPS navigation in the back country.
Use as a geocaching navigator by getting a pocket query as GPX. Besides geocaching, use GPS for recording tracks and GPS way points on your trip, all the while tracking your GPS quest on topo graphic maps. It may replace your Garmin handheld GPS.
Here are some of the outdoor GPS activities Back Country Navigator has been used for:
– As a hiking GPS both on hiking trails and off trail.
– Camping trips to find that perfect camping site or the way back tocamp with GPS.
– Hunting trips for hunting wild game in rugged areas.
– Doing recon for a hunt or as your hunting GPS
– Fishing: make it your fishing GPS.
– Search and Rescue (SAR).
– Trekking the Pacific Crest trail or other long term hiking.
– Kayak and canoe treks on inland lakes and streams or marine, coastal waters.
– Back packer trips: using topo maps of wilderness areas and national forests for navigation on trails with the GPS in your ruck sack or backpack.
Find your own ways to have fun in the outdoors. Be a maverick byventuring beyond cell service boundaries with your GPS. Become apro at navigation with GPS for the outdoors. BackCountry Navigator has been on WM devices and preloaded onthe Trimble Nomad outdoor rugged device. This Android version is more flexible, featured, and fun. Create a memory with maps.
For a one time fee, this a great addition to the outdoor gear you bought at Cabelas, REI, or another outdoor store. Many have found the Android GPS in a phone or tablet to substitute for a Garmin GPS or Magellan GPS, such as the Garmin GPS units Montana, Etrex, or Oregon. Android can be your handheld GPS.
Project waypoint with bearing and distance – highly requested feature.
Fix to elevation stuck and min/max grade in stats.
More range ring functionality.